29 May 2011

Who.Is as a Sourcing Tool

"WHOIS is a query and response protocol that is widely used for querying databases that store the registered users or assignees of an Internet resource, such as a domain name, an IP address block, or an autonomous system, but is also used for a wider range of other information. The protocol stores and delivers database content in a human-readable format."

Or so says Wikipedia. As a technical recruiter we've already got such a throng of tools available to us; why would this be useful to us, and how is it even relevent? The WHOIS protocol, when manifested in websites such as who.is or whois.com, will (more often than not) allow you to get the e-mail address and phone number of the person who registered that domain. That is why it's relevent to us.

I used this as recently as last week to get hold of a contractor for a very specific Flash role I have been working on. I had found the candidate through a simple X-Ray search via Google on LinkedIn. No joy in adding him, or InMailing him.


A Google search brings up his portfolio, but there are very few other contact details, and he's done well to hide his e-mail address from any of the forums, boards and social networks he frequents.


Handily for us, his blog appears on his own domain, which allows us to use http://who.is/ to hopefully bring up those all important things; the contact details.


And there they are. :)

I'd also add as a side note; a more obvious solution could be to contact a potential candidate at their place of work, but a) that is not always possible (especially with contractors) and b) as a rule, I don't like doing it; only as a last resort. I've had several people react very badly to being contacted at work and given my business is built mainly around my relationships with candidates, it's an option I try to avoid.

-TW

3 comments:

  1. Since you asked: There's always room for a good blog. Whether you need one is another issue. You can use it to show clients or employers that you know your stuff.

    For instance, a sourcer can use his blog to show recruiters some sourcing basics and discuss issues with peers in the online sourcing community.

    For some people it's also fun or a networking tool or it's way to force yourself to think clearly about what you do.

    This posting would be better IMHO if you changed the title. "Source Candidates with Who.Is" says more and it isnt too long.

    I would also get straight to the point. Cut out the quote from Wiki and get right down to business.

    Last week I used the Who.is to find a contractor etc. and I'm going to tell you how I did it.

    First I went to WHOIS.com.

    All in all I think this is a good posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very useful post, and it has been forwarded around the office!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, and... taken on board Animal. :)

    ReplyDelete